Every student in Iowa has a right to a safe learning environment. In 2007, Iowa took action to deliver on this promise by passing two important laws that now serve to protect all students in schools and colleges from daily harassment, bullying and discrimination: Iowa’s Safe Schools Law and Iowa’s amended Civil Rights Law.
We know that for these laws to be effective—they must be enforced. A couple ways you can help make sure that the law is made real in your school:
- Make sure you understand Iowa’s Safe Schools Law and amended Iowa Civil Right Act.
- Know where your school keeps its bullying and harassment report forms and fill out this form with the school equity officer and/or school administrators when incidents of bullying or harassment or occur.
- Speak up and get help when you witness bullying or harassment against other students in classrooms and hallways.
- Talk with school administrators about the importance of safer and more welcoming environments for all students and encourage the development of training, resources, curriculum, and policies to create safer schools.
- Encourage your school to take part in the Safe School Certification Program.
A resource we are offering to students in Iowa is the “Make it Real Manual” which offers practical tips and information so you can receive the support and benefits the laws provide. We’ll help you understand how your schools must follow the law and stop harassment and how you should report harassment when it happens. Imagine a school where everyone feels safe. Imagine a school without hate. Imagine it, then, make it real.
The manual is currently being prepped for printing and once available, will be here for download! To know when it’s ready, fill out the Interest Form to receive our Email Newsletter!